Wednesday 23 July 2014

Adventures in Loot! Month two: Villains!

Well, it's that time of month again! Lootcrate is on the prowl and have delivered a fresh box off wonders onto my doorstep and into my heart. I found last month's crate to be extremely agreeable, with plenty of fun stuff (and one magnificent t-shirt! That I've worn since and is incredibly comfortable) but also a fair bit of filler that I'm still shrugging over. Although I think I need to apologise to MLG just a little, because their armband was utterly fantastic at keeping my PICC line in place and not flapping around when I went out. So good job and thank you guys! But that was last month, this is this month, so let's crack it open and see what's inside!


First of all, I am utterly enamoured with this box. I don't know if they're all the same and it's printed on, I think it must be for the amount of work it would require otherwise, but I love the markered on style and every joke on there hits the mark. I especially love the Killing Joke homage on the camera. You have to give these guys respect when even their boxes are tiny little works of joyful artwork.


And then we come to the contents, and I can tell you already that I love that t-shirt. I can't even see it all, but that design made me smile like the Joker when I saw it and I cannot wait to wear it. The rest also looks fairly tantalising under there, mind...


Here we go! The main design in all it's glory. My friend and I debated endlessly about this t-shirt, speculating it was either going to be Loki, Ledger Joker or the big daddy of them all - Darth vader. I have to admit I'm surprised it's not Darth, considering the high comic focus of the rest of the box (spoiler!) but I'm very happy with this. It's a great compromise between the big two, a really fun design and both villains really blend into each other into an intriguing concept. My only complaint is that the t-shirt itself isn't of as good a quality as the previous one in the Transform box, the material feels thinner and it just doesn't feel as robust. Then again, it's by no means poorly made - In fact, this was the quality I was expecting from the Transform t-shirt, and that one bowled me over, so I figure last month was just special. 

But the good times with clothing don't stop there! Marvel seems determined to kit me out for my trip back to the ward tomorrow, as there's these wonderful Deadpool socks! I don't really have much to say about these, other than I love them and this is the kind of thing I invested in Lootcrate for. Great, geeky merch that I never knew I wanted to own, but now I do own them want the whole world to know I own.








A gaggle of assorted bits and pieces, including this months badge, which I'm hoping will act as the mirror of next months badge, two fantastic trinkets in the Bowser fridge magnet and the Darth Vader keyring. Bowser has joined my Batman and Kano magnets in the part of the fridge I seem to be cultivating for geeky nonsense.



And a documentary from DC, which I'm very much looking forward to watching back on the ward. Again, hopefully we might see it's sister in a crate next month! Speaking of DC, their other contribution to the crate is perhaps the only thing in it that really misses for me.












I'm not really into Harley Quinn or the Ledger mouther Joker that's spawned since The Dark Knight so these don't do anything for me, but they're still nice pieces of art in their own right. If anybody feels like they want to give them a good home, give me a shout!


Then we pull out the pre-advertised star of the show, the Lootcrate exclusive issue of Rocket Racoon. It's a lovely cover indeed, and the comic itself is a lot of fun. I love Skottie Young's art and his style really fits Rocket and Groot. Not sure it hooked me in enough to get the next issue, also kind of thought the swear words censored by various symbols was a little distracting - But then it was nice to see a comic that could be enjoyed by a younger audience so I'm glad they didn't go all out on the language. Besides, how can you dislike a comic that has such great sound effects? 


FRAGBABOOM indeed! 

Heck, even when you get to the very last item, this is a box that just keeps on giving! 


I really can't fail to love this one. The items and the box art really enforce the Villains theme and give it a great touch of personality. If I was to be picky I'd say that a comic about Rocket, that doesn't really feature a big villain as focus, perhaps wasn't the best choice - But then again, it was very savvy marketing and I'm not complaining. One could also make the case it's a little too comic book focused, but that doesn't bother me one bit. Besides, if there's a genre that's defined by its villains it's comic books - Most of the classic, memorable and well developed icons of evil rise up from their pages and I have no problem with them being paid homage too here. This crate has been utterly fantastic, though, and I can only hope next months Heroes themed one matches up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment